Friday, September 08, 2006

It Still Happens!

A few days ago I attended this wonderful wedding. It was well organized, well presented, and everyone looked so beautiful. The music was booming and girls were dancing to the enchanting beat of drums (or 6eeran as we say).
Glancing around, you would see nothing but joy. Young ladies moving around like rainbow colored gazelles. Diamonds flickering under the glare of lights. I sat there like a little girl, taking in the bewitching scene. Suddenly my mind started flashing back to my childhood. To the days mommy dearest would get me all ready in my ruffled dress, and pull back my hair with satin ribbons. " You will be the prettiest child at the wedding," she would say. And holds my hand as we enter the ballroom.
At the age of 7 or 8 you never notice the decor or the coffee sweets going around. You just wanted to hang out with other kids you know and show off your dress and hair-bow and prove your mommy right! I AM THE PRETTIEST CHILD THERE! :)
I could not remember ANY of the brides in all the weddings I went to as a child. They would come in, sit and leave and I wouldn't notice it at all. I sat there smiling at my memories, how innocent those days were.
This wedding was different though, I am there on my own. A big girl, noticing every detail. My thoughts were interrupted by the sudden dimming of lights. Everyone knows what that means, the bride is about to enter.
"Alf i99alaat w'issalaam 3alaik ya 7abeeb Allah, Mohammad!" the mic roared. As the song started, "hab issa3ad," you can feel people's curiosity and anticipation growing. Waiting for the lady in white to walk in, and she did. She was so beautiful! Absolutely stunning! Her soft makeup, yes SOFT, only enhanced her actual beauty. Simple and elegant, veiled with her sweet blush of innocence and embarrassment. She sat down so majestically, like a queen on her throne. And the wedding continued.
When they announced that the groom is arriving, everyone sat back down and turned to face the entrance. You can tell that they were wondering if he was as cute as she was. YES MEN! Women do think that was in weddings, and if he isn't that good looking, yete7assifoon 3ala il 3aroos, wal 3aks 9a7ee7 6ab3an. :)
I didn't care much for the grooms entrance, I was more focused on seeing the bride's reaction. However, I could have sworn that I saw panic and something else. I couldn't quite interpret her expression but it was one of discomfort. She was looking around for someone and her sister ran to her side, whispered something to her and just stood there, as if to comfort her. I thought it was wedding fright! But an hour ago, I understood what it was. DISAPPOINTMENT AND DEPRESSION!
I was just told that the bride and groom had only met face to face, for the first time, in that ballroom! It was tradition in their families that they do not see each other till the wedding. Not even by photos. With all respect to those customs, I was in shock! How can you have a life partner that you never saw before. Even in Islam, according to the shar3, they have to see each other before committing to avoid any heartache that may come.
According to a family member of hers, the bride almost cried when she saw him. He wasn't at all what she was told he looked like. With all respect, this is midevil practice. Yes she may get over it, but I would never want to me in her shoes.

5 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

OMG this crazy how could you commit to someone you never met ... poor thing

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Chubby Femme said...

mosan.. tell me about it! I felt so sorry for the girl. I mean we are talking about someone you will be spending a life time with. EVERY NIGHT AND EVERY MORNING!.. for years! and she was GORGEOUS! mashallah..

aham shay.. when she asked who he looked like, they said "he is an exact copy of his sister flaana"

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

poor poor girl

Aham shay the way they always discribe the bride or groom.. they either discribe them as saudi prince or movie star

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Chubby Femme said...

yeah I know.. 6'2" tall dark and handsome.. with eyes as dark as black, shining as if night stars ar trapped in them. With a smile that moves your soul. and then they wrap him up with a simple phrase, like a ribbon on a gift, "ma yete6awwaf hal rayyal!"

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Chubby Femme said...

people tend to adapt and accept reality.. the time needed to accept though depends on the severity of shock :) I am sure she will be fine.. but I hated that she was put in such a situation!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home